Dr. Kristin Marcum, M.D., is a born and raised Texan who attended college at Texas A&M University, where she graduated with a degree in Biomedical Science. She then received her M.D. from University of Texas Medical Branch and completed her residency at Wake Forest University in North Carolina. While at Wake Forest, she received the Patient Appreciation Award for three years in a row. Her practice encompasses all aspects of otolaryngology, including adult and pediatric, with a special focus on allergy/sinus and sleep medicine as well as new and innovative techniques. Dr. Marcum is currently training on advanced in-office procedures such as Balloon Sinuplasty and Eustachian tube dilation. In her spare time, Dr. Marcum enjoys movies and exercising with her Aggie husband, running after her son, dressing up her daughter and spoiling her dogs.
Texas A&M University
College Station, Texas
B.S., Magna cum laude
University of Texas Medical Branch
Resident in Otolaryngology
Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
North Carolina (2012-00371)
Full and unrestricted
- 2007 – Present American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
- 2007 – Present American Academy of Otolaryngic Allergy
- 2007 – Present North Carolina Medical Society
- 2011-2012 – Patient Appreciation Award, Wake Forest
- 2010-2011 – Temporal Bone Award, Wake Forest
- 2010-2011 – Patient Appreciation Award, Wake Forest
- 2010-2011 – Outstanding Resident in Laryngology, Wake Forest
- 2009-2010 – Patient Appreciation Award, Wake Forest
- 2007 – Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society, UTMB
- 2007 – Gold Humanism Honor Society, UTMB
- 2007 – You Make A Difference Award, UTMB
- 2003 – Carl J. Herzog Foundation Medical School Scholarship, UTMB
- 2002 – Golden Key National Honor Medical Society, Texas A&M
- 1999 – Salutatorian, Alvin High School
Chapters in Books
- Lintzenich CR, Marcum KM. Management of Esophageal Disorders. In: Sclafani A (eds) Otolaryngology Review Manual, Thieme. In Publication
- Zwischenberger JB, Parker DW, Cheek JM, Kucera K, Parker BC. Esophagus. In: Poston GJ, Beauchamp D (eds), Textbook of Surgical Oncology. Taylor and Francis, 2007.
Peer Reviewed Publications
- Biddy A, Marcum K, Kirse D. “Late Presentation of Bilateral Choanal Atresia in a 10-Year-Old Child with Moyamoya Disease” Journal of Case Reports in Medicine (vol. 2 (2013), 3 pages).
- Marcum K, Browne JD. Parascapular Free Flaps in Head and Neck Malignancies, Laryngoscope, 2010; 120 Suppl 4:S164.
- Marcum KK, Wright SC Jr, Kemp ES, Kirse DJ. A Novel Modification of the Ansa to Recurrent Laryngeal Nerve Reinnervation Procedure For Young Children. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2010 Nov, 74(11):1335-7.
- Marcum KK, Kemp ES, Rees CJ. Malt Lymphoma. Ear Nose Throat J, 2010 Nov; 89(11):528. Marcum K, Mott RT, Rees CJ. Eosinophilic Esophagitis, Ear Nose Throat J, 2009 Dec; 88(12):1258-9.
- Horner C, Marcum K, Rees C, Grier D. Check Sample: Surgical Pathology II, Volume 33, Number 4, June 2009, 45-57.
- Doss A, Dunn S, Kucera K, Clemson L, Zwischenberger J, American Society for Artificial Organs, Tracheal Replacements, Part 1.
- Kucera K, Doss A, Dunn S, Clemson L, Zwischenberger J, American Society for Artificial Organs, Tracheal Replacements, Part 2.
- Marcum K, Goldman N. Evaluation of Photographic Techniques in Facial Plastics, Poster Presentation COSM Meeting, April 18-22 2012, San Diego CA
- Marcum K, Wright SC Jr. Hypothyroidism and Dysphonia, Poster Presentation COSM Meeting, April 18-22 2012, San Diego CA
- James A. Harrill Lecture, Hypothyroidism and Dysphonia, Graylyn International Conference Center, Winston Salem, NC, 4/2012
- Marcum K, Butler S, Lintzenich CR, Wright SC Jr. Can the Reflux Symptom Index Score Predict the Reflux Finding Score?, Oral Presentation at AAO-HNS Meeting Sept 11, 2011, San Francisco CA
- Marcum K, Kirse D. Recurrent Laryngeal Reinnervation, Poster Presentation COSM Meeting, April 27-May 1 2011, Chicago IL
- James A. Harrill Lecture, Robotics in Otolaryngology, Graylyn International Conference Center, Winston Salem, NC, 4/2011
- Marcum K, Browne JD. Parascapular Free Flaps in Head and Neck Cancer, Poster Presentation at Southern Section of COSM, Orlando FL, 2/2010
- James A. Harrill Lecture, Parascapular Free Flaps in Head and Neck Cancer, Graylyn International Conference Center, Winston Salem, NC, 4/2010
- Marcum K, Browne JD. Parascapular Free Flaps in Head and Neck Cancer, Oral Presentation, North Carolina/South Carolina Joint Otolaryngology Meeting, 2009
- Synder N, Kucera K, Modified Algorithm for Breast Cancer Reconstructive Options. Lynn Sage Breast Cancer Synposium. Chicago, IL. October 28-31, 2004.